Welcome to 6.5 BETA - please at least read the "Details" below each chapter in this "top" section of the Release Notes.
Our Beta Agreement with You
By installing the Beta version of our software farmerswife, you hereby confirm that you understand and agree to the consequences thereof as listed below:
Only customers with a Gold Support & Maintenance Agreement active past the planned release date are eligible to receive a Beta license. The release date is subject to change; once upgraded to the Beta version the Beta-Customer agrees to extend the Support & Maintenance Agreement to at least one month past the actual version release.
For customers who have purchased feature development it is prerequisite to run the Beta version within their production environment.
Without purchased feature development the access to Beta is only granted on a case-per-case basis at our own discretion.
Any prior issues (bugs, missing functionality, etc.) or new ones related to the upgrade to the Beta version need to be addressed separately and conform to the below information. Being on Beta doesn't mean that all issues can or will be addressed; some might require unplanned and purchased feature development.
You hereby authorize us to include your Company Name, City, and Country to the list of Beta Customers within the Beta Release Notification email. All recipients you have informed us about (see below list), will receive this notification once a next Beta version is ready to be downloaded and installed. All recipients are added as "BCC".
We need to know the First Name, Last Name, Title, email address of:
- Main Farmer(s)
- Main IT contact(s)
- Main WIFE user(s)
You also confirm:
All users who work with your farmerswife system running on "Beta" were previously informed about the following information.
You agree to upgrade as soon as possible, once we've notified you about a new release.
The updated Release Notes supplied with every release notification and shipped with each installer are the first and only line of documentation during the Beta phase. The content is essential for everyone running a WIFE Beta version. You agree to read them and distribute them among your users.
New feature development bears the higher risk of new bugs being introduced, or previously working functionality to contain bugs. We need to be able to replicate the bugs, in order to fix them. The issues you might encounter will not go away by magic. We need your help here: report bugs to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use the below format, it not only makes it easier and less time consuming for your and everyone involved, but a responsive and fluent communication is the very base for a fast solution of any issue:
Email Subject: a clear and short description of the problem or bug. For example: "WIFE Client crash on opening Project #12345 on WIFE-Beta-version-xyz" is already a lot more useful than "WIFE crashes" or "problem"
WHAT and WHERE is the bug?: describe as detailed as needed and in the shortest possible way on how to replicate the bug. Any window in WIFE has its own title name. Using these descriptions is the best and easiest way to communicate to us, to what you are referring to within WIFE. Please also consider adding screen shots; make sure all needed information is visible on your screen shot. This is not always needed, but it's a very useful a quick way to provide us with more information.
Describe in simple words of what happened.
Describe what you expected to happen.
... and then send this to email@example.com
If a WIFE Server crash was involved, use the "Send Backup Now" button located on the WIFE Server application window.
If a WIFE Client crash was involved we need the "error.txt" from the machine where the crash happened; the error.txt is located in the root installation folder of the WIFE Client software.
Farmers WIFE offers these access tiers to the system:
WIFE Client application on Mac and Windows (Linux is also available but not officially maintained).
Web-browser based Web Client (designed for Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome. Recent changes now make it also usable with MS Internet Explorer v9).
WebCal based "Object Event subscription" to 3rd Party applications, which support subscribing to WebCal format (e.g. Outlook for Windows and iCal).
For Apple iOS mobile devices the iOS farmerswife Beta app is special. At the beginning of it's Beta phase (not always needed) this app might only be installed if the Apple mobile device's UDID was pre-registered by us. Special conditions by Apple apply; the amount of UDID's we can grant access with is VERY limited. We register only max. 5 UDID's per Beta customer during the normal Beta phase. Closer to the planned release date, we might make the iOS farmerswife Beta app version available on Apple's App Store.
6.5 Beta development phase roadmap
This section will be updated with every released version.
The below dates are goal planning dates.
These dates are subject to change without notice!
6.5 Beta 1 "IBC 2018 Preview": 13. September 2018. DONE
6.5 Beta 2 "NAB 2019 Preview": 8. April 2019. DONE
6.5 Beta 3: 17. April 2019. DONE
6.5 Beta 4: 30. April 2019. DONE
6.5 Beta 5: 7. May 2019. DONE
6.5 Beta 6: 15. May 2019 ... in progress
6.5 Beta 7: 22. May 2019
Earliest planned release date:
End Q2 2019
Upgrading to v6.5 Beta - see details!
- You need to be on "Gold Support" past the date of the planned release of this version.
- You need to have a "Version 6.5" license at hand, before starting the upgrade process.
- We recommend that you first get a proper separate "TEST environment" up and running.
ONLY upgrade from 6.4 SP2 rev. 17824 or later!
The "simple" built-in in-application farmerswife (fw) Client auto-upgrade process is supported.
Soon to come:
A new low-level-libraries-upgraded version for Windows called "Windows_64" will be soon available.
If this is used to upgrade the fw Server application, then on Windows a MANUAL fw Client desktop installation is necessary once to upgrade to v6.5 - the "full-installer-download-auto-Client-upgrade" is supported,
This will then install the new 64bit fw Client desktop app on Windows!
Each user on Windows can use the built-in FULL-installer-download auto-upgrade functionality (if allowed), which will be triggered upon first log-in to the already upgraded fw Server application.
This means, upon login with the fw Client Desktop app, the user has to choose a location where the installer file will be stored on the local machine ... to then automatically continue with the manual upgrade process.
NOTE: The simple built-in auto-fwClient upgrade will work again for any "Windows_64" farmerswife Client desktop app, which was once manually upgraded.
- Your farmerswife Server application needs to have at least been running on version 6.4 SP2 rev. 17824.
- Inform your colleagues about this new version BEFORE you upgrade.
- Run a "Full Backup" BEFORE the upgrade.
- While the Full Backup is taking place, you could now take a look into the documents provided in the "Read And Use Me Upgrade Package" you were issued together with your license of the previous Released version.
- The upgrade itself might require a couple of "Forced Shutdowns" for it to finish.
- If needed, see more detailed information in the Upgrade Instructions.
- Ensure you have the latest Java version (JRE on Windows/Linux, JDK on Mac OS X) installed, for the Web Client and Mobile Web Client to work properly and in the most secure way. Watch out on Windows: here you can run the fw Server application in 32bit mode (farmerswife.exe) or 64bit mode (farmerswife 64bit.exe); and depending in which mode you're running the WIFE Server, you _must_ have JRE installed in the corresponding 32bit or 64bit version.
farmerswife Server upgrade on Mac:
- Copy the NEW farmerswife Server package to the machine hosting the WIFE Server.
- Un-zip and rename it to include "NEW" in the package name.
- Place it in the same location as the previous running farmerswife Server.
- Quit the running WIFE Server.
- Rename the previous farmerswife Server, to include "OLD" in the package name.
- On both packages do <Control> + click and select "Show Package Contents" in the pop-up menu.
- In the OLD package select the "system" and "files" folders* and use <Control> + click and select "Copy 2 Items".*
- In the NEW package use <Control> + click and select "Paste 2 Items".
- Now copy the new 6.1 license files into the "system" of the NEW WIFE server.
- Double click on the NEW farmerswife Server package icon to start the actual upgrade process.
- Once everything worked out fine, remove or update any Dock or Desktop links. And if needed remove the OLD Server package; because up until now, this was a working "roll-back" backup, just in case something went wrong.
- After the upgrade, start the farmerswife Server as usual.
* You might also need to copy the "html_templates" (only if used and if it contains customized templates) folder. And if you are using any 3rd party integration scripts, don't forget to manually migrate these from OLD WIFE Server package > Contents > "Show Package Contents" > lib > scripts > ... and then here only copy the integration script files from the according sub-folder and not the whole "scripts" folder.
Note: The "files" folder might not even be there, since it was broken out, to reside on some other storage device within your network.
farmerswife Server upgrade on Windows and Linux:
- Make sure you are logged into the host machine with the same admin user as on the initial installation of the farmerswife server application.
- Copy the NEW farmerswife Server installer file to the machine hosting the WIFE Server.
=> On Windows this is a .exe file
=> On Linux use these instructions: https://support.farmerswife.com/a/solutions/articles/17000026005-server-and-client-installation-linux
- Quit the running farmerswife Server.
- Now copy the new v6.5 license files into the "system" of the NEW WIFE server.
- Double click to run the installer file in the same manner as the previous installation (for example did you use "Run As Administrator" on Windows?).
- Follow the instructions of the install wizard.
- After the upgrade, start the farmerswife Server as usual.
The farmerswife Clients will auto-upgrade ...
... if already on version 6.4 SP2 or later: ... by using the "simple in-application" auto-upgrade process; "normal user" Operating System permissions (Read / Write) are sufficient.
... if BELOW version 6.4 SP2:
... by using the "FULL" Client upgrade process; OS admin user permissions Read, Write AND Execute are necessary on the initial upgrade.
IMPORTANT for the supported auto-upgrade functionality in later versions:
For the farmerswife Client applications the "simple in-application" auto-upgrade process to work (once supported in later versions), "normal user" Operating System permissions (Read / Write) are sufficient. You log-in, you confirm that you want to upgrade, the needed files are transferred, the WIFE Client restarts, done.
But when auto-upgrading on Mac with a mix of Admin and Standard users, make sure to be logged-in as a Standard user. Then after mounting the .dmg file, drag-and-drop it to the Applications folder. You then need to authenticate with the Admin users credentials! The farmerswife Client will not work for the Standard user, if installed while being logged-in as the Admin user.
IMPORTANT when upgrading the WIFE Client on Mac: If you have a mix of Admin and Standard users on a Mac, make sure to be logged-in as a Standard user. Then after mounting the .dmg file, drag-and-drop it to the Applications folder. You then need to authenticate with the Admin users credentials! The farmerswife Client will not work for the Standard user, if installed while being logged-in as the Admin user. For the farmerswife Client applications the "simple in-application" auto-upgrade process is supported, "normal user" Operating System permissions (Read / Write) are sufficient. You log-in, you confirm that you want to upgrade, the needed files are transferred, the WIFE Client restarts, done. This upgrade process is not explained in any further detail.
For customers on lower versions:
5.x is a facelift version! The user interface has changed, but it's still farmerswife.
If you have not seen it before, simply first try it out on your own local machine https://www.farmerswife.com/ and click on the "Free Trial" button.
Once you've successfully upgraded, please inform us by sending a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org; this is very helpful information for us.
Latest free universal iOS farmerswife app v5.0.828 is available on Apple's App Store, click on "+" to see the details!
The latest iOS farmerswife app is v5.0.828, and is available on Apple's App Store since 08-April-2019.
IMPORTANT: Requires iOS 12
And due to iOS 12 requirements for new submitted apps this will result in the previously working 3rd party external barcode scanner support to no longer work, as this was removed by Apple.
The previous farmerswife app v5.0.825 (available since 4-June-2018) works from iOS 9 through to iOS 12.
NOTE: iOS 9 required since iOS farmerswife app v5.0.706.
Requires farmerswife v6.1 SP1 and later versions!
You should upgrade as soon as possible to the latest released version 6.4, but at least to v6.1 SP1 rev 16195.
If you can't upgrade your fw Server application to v6.1 SP1 rev 16195 or later (was released 20. July 2016), then you can't use the latest available iOS farmerswife app on iOS 8.4 or later.
You will get a "Error Failed To Connect" message.
How to install the iOS farmerswife app:
On your Apple mobile device go to the "App Store" app and search for "farmerswife"; depending on which iOS version you have installed, it will show you different iOS farmerswife app versions.
Latest iOS farmerswife app version is 5.0.828; it requires iOS 12 and later (ideally you're always on the latest iOS version).
Version 5.0.59 requires iOS 7 or later. This is the iOS 7 optimized version.
For iOS 6, the latest iOS farmerswife app is still version 5.0.34.
IMPORTANT for older versions:
The latest v5 universal iOS farmerswife app for iOS 7 or later: v5.0.59 is available on Apples App Store since 12-September-2014.
Your WIFE Server needs to be at least on version 6.1 SP1 or later to use iOS farmerswife app version v5.0.59 and later.
Running a separate TEST WIFE Server
This chapter describes the recommended best practice on working on and with a separate TEST WIFE Server.
This might be needed when running on Beta versions, or new Service Packs or in general when you first want to run an upgrade check
or evaluate new modules or new functionality on a separate TEST WIFE Server installation.
You can always use a WIFE Server in "demo mode" (also with your DB files) and it will run for 60 min. and you have 40 sessions.
An additional "TEST Server" license can be provided upon request, available for customer with a valid service agreement in place;
include in your request the Company Name, the info of the local static IPv4 address and the used Operating System of the machine to host the TEST WIFE Server.
farmerswife supports Push and Feed functionality, and various other email notifications (if enabled); and it can be integrated to various other 3rd party systems; and you can also break out folder structures to network shares which are normally locally hosted on the WIFE Server's host machine, etc.
All this functionality is therefore also enabled by default on a separate new TEST WIFE Server environment you might be using. And if not handled with care and turned OFF in a good way, this will lead to duplicate or wrong notifications to your users, or update wrong information on your real live Production farmerswife system.
Please read on.
For a "half way realistic" test environment, copy the "system" folder from your WIFE PRODUCTION Server, more info below!
Depending on how you use farmerswife, you might also need to copy other files or folders.
Use the "server.cfg" file to control certain vital parts of your separate TEST Server:
This "server configuration" file (server.cfg) provides the option to change certain "General tab" settings "outside" of the actual WIFE Server application.
You use this file to ensure certain settings are NOT enabled on your TEST WIFE Server BEOFRE it gets started.
These settings/variables are available by default on this version:
These are additional settings/variables not set by default:
Since v6.4 these two settings/variables are special, because on a "standard" and "not externally proxied" fw Server installation, both of these MUST have the SAME port value!
On our "Demo DB" these settings/variables will look like this:
Note: Only licensed features and their variables will be effected by any changes within this .cfg file.
A proper WIFE Test installation works like this:
- Quit your farmerswife PRODUCTION WIFE Server.
- Create a file called "server.cfg" within your PRODUCTION WIFE Server's "system" folder.
- Start up your PRODUCTION WIFE Server for the first time with the "server.cfg" file in place, then Quit it again, to trigger flushing your existing configuration settings into this "server.cfg" file.
- Install the TEST WIFE Server application on your test machine.
- Now copy at least the "system" folder from your WIFE "production" Server to within your "test" WIFE Server's installation folder. If you have the time, feel free to also copy the "files" folder; and if you have customized anything within the "html_templates" or "/lib/scripts/...", copy these sub-folders, and IF you are using anything "customized" within these folders, the related files might need to be copied as well.
BEFORE (!!!) the first start-up of the TEST WIFE Server, edit the server.cfg file with a text editor application within your TEST WIFE Server's "system" folder and add or set at least these variables to "0", like this:
Save the server.cfg file. Copy it again to a "safe" location on your test machine, so you can re-use it for the next DB file updates. Please read on.
Now start your TEST WIFE Server application.
VERY IMPORTANT after the first launch and after each update of database files of a separate TEST Server
Go to the running fw Server application > Setup > General tab > "Full Backup Time" and set it to "Never"!
The "server.cfg" does not yet support this feature, and if you do not turn it off, this might interfere with your actual real "Full Backups" from your "in-production" farmerswife system!
NOTE: to test "Allow Mail" functionality from a "test" WIFE Server, you can use for example a service like "Mailtrap" (https://mailtrap.io).
You then need to update this variables with your access details:
Repeat the above steps, for any upgrade or repeated update of the "system" folder on your Test WIFE Server.
We recommend to save the correctly configured "server.cfg" file for the TEST environment in a good way, and then simply replace it prior to the first start-up.
NOTE: Once you have properly configured your TEST WIFE Server as mentioned above, you can save time in the future by only copying these files from your PRODUCTION WIFE Server > from within the "system" folder:
About these Release Notes, Disclaimer and Legal Information
The content of this Release Notes document is subject to change without notice. The information in this document is furnished for informational use only and should not be construed as a commitment by farmerswife. farmerswife assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or inaccuracies that may appear in this document or any software that may be provided in association with this document. Except as permitted by such license, no part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the express written consent of farmerswife.
Fixed a crash when launching some Reports with "Budgeting" data in certain scenarios.
Exclude Users From Password Expiry
You can exclude Users from password expiry:
On the Server:
- Server Settup > Users > Password Policies > "Exclude Users From Password Expiry"
On the Client:
- Toolbox > server Settup > Password Policies > "Exclude Users From Password Expiry"
Once you select the Users you would like to exclude, their password will never expire.
Implemented for the "Password Policies" to allow to exclude users from the password expiration policy, see details.
This feature is intended to be ONLY used for integrations e.g. with the 3rd party system, when a farmerswife user is needed, but where the "account" or better the password should not expire.
To use this new feature either go to:
a) The running farmerswife (fw) Server application > Setup button > Users tab > Password Policies section > "Exclude Users From Expire Password" button.
b) Via the fw Client application as an Advanced User with "Object Manager" permission level > Toolbox > Settings > Server Setup > Password Policies section (at the bottom) > "Exclude Users From Expire Password" button.
Clicking on this button will open the "Select Users To Exclude From Password To Expire".
Move the users from the "Not Selected" pane on the left to the "Selected" pane on the right to set the exclusion from the "Expire Password Policy".
Implemented for the "Password Policies" to be able to "Force Change Password On Next Login" per single or multiple users, see details.
To use this new feature either go to:
a) The running farmerswife (fw) Server application > Setup button > Users tab > Password Policies section > "Force Change Password On Next Login" button.
b) Via the fw Client application as an Advanced User with "Object Manager" permission level > Toolbox > Settings > Server Setup > Password Policies section (at the bottom) > "Force Change Password On Next Login" button.
Clicking on this button will open the "Select Users To Force Password Change".
Move the users from the "Not Selected" pane on the left to the "Selected" pane on the right to trigger the forced password reset for one or multiple users on next log-in.
Fixed a bug for the Object Report > Footer section wrongly causing "Position > Page" to not be supported for multiple-page reports.
Added support to filter by "Booking Custom Fields" on "GET /event", see details.
More info on the farmerswife REST API:
Implemented enhancements on endpoints "GET /event", "GET /project" and "PUT /project/projectID", see details!
- Added support to create Projects and update them by specifying a "projectNumber" (alpha-numberic).
- Added "Pagination" on "/event" and "/project" endpoints.
- Added 2 new parameters on "GET /event": "dayFrom" and "dayTo".
- Removed the requirement to specify "objectID" and "objectType" to get "objects events".
- Fixed a wrong implementation on "PUT /project/id" before this wrongly required to send "projectID" as a GET parameter.
- The "Swagger" documentation has been updated - get this from the below mentioned Knowledge base article.
More info on the farmerswife REST API:
Implemented support to display a multiple-day Booking in one line on WebCal/iCal Event subscriptions IF "Use Actual Time Range" is enabled, see details.
Multiple-day Bookings displayed via the WebCal/iCal Event Subscriptions will now show these as a single line over all days on the calendar for that booking. This only applies if the "Use Actual Time Range" on the Booking > "Time In/Out" setting is active.
IMPORTANT: Take care "Actual Time Range" means, that these Bookings are booked through the whole time-period, so also during the night!
For this to work, either go to each multiple-day Booking where this is needed, right mouse click > Booking > Time In / Out > "Choose Start And Stop Time > click on the "Use Actual Time Range" check-box.
Or when creating Bookings where this should apply, go to fw Client > Toolbox > Settings > Booking Defaults > "Use Actual Time Range" and set the check-box for all following Bookings to be created.